Volleyball is a great game for people of all ages and skill levels. Whether you are just starting out or have been playing for years, these volleyball essentials will help you get the most out of your game. To play volleyball, you will need a ball, court, and net.
The ball is typically round and made of leather or synthetic materials. It is usually inflated to between 65 and 72 psi. The court is rectangular and measures 30 by 60 feet. The net is 7 feet high at the center and 6 feet high at the sidelines. It is placed across the center of the court.
How to hold the ball and hit it
The ball can be held in a number of ways, depending on what is comfortable for you and the type of hit you want to make. The most common way to hold the ball is with both hands facing up, with the fingers spread out. You can also hold the ball with one hand, with your fingers spread out and your thumb around the ball. To hit the ball, extend your arm and snap your wrists to send the ball flying.
Basic offensive moves
• Block the other team’s shots
• Get in front of the ball and deflect it back to them
• Hit the ball hard and high so it flies over the net
• Pass the ball to a teammate
What do you need for volleyball
- A good quality volleyball
- A suitable playing surface
- A net to divide the court
- Volleyball shoes for better traction and movement
- Comfortable clothing that does not restrict your movement
- Knee pads to protect your knees from the hard playing surface
- Wristbands or gloves to absorb sweat and help you grip the ball
- A water bottle to stay hydrated during the game
There are a number of defensive moves you can make to protect your court and block the other team’s shots. One basic move is to step in front of the ball and use your hands and arms to deflect it back to the other team. You can also jump up and use your hands or body to block the ball. If you see the ball coming toward you, try to get in front of it as quickly as possible.
Playing as part of a team
Playing as part of a team is an important part of volleyball. When playing as part of a team, you
need to work together to cover the court and block the other team’s shots. You can also work together to hit the ball over the net. To do this, one player will hit the ball, and then the other players will run to the other side of the court to get into position for the next hit.
In volleyball, there are a number of terms you will need to know in order to play the game. These terms include:
- Serving – The act of hitting the ball over the net to start the rally.
- Setting – The act of passing the ball to a teammate so they can hit it over the net.
- Spiking – Hitting the ball hard and high so it flies over the net and into the other team’s court.
- Blocking – Jumping up and using your hands or body to block the other team’s shots.